About the De La Salle Christian Brothers
History in Rhode Island
The De La Salle Christian Brothers have been in Rhode Island since three Brothers arrived in Providence to open LaSalle Academy in September 1871. Although, at that time, the Brothers here belonged to the New York province, New York divided the province in 1956 into two portions and Christian Brothers Center became the headquarters for the new province, Long Island/New England (LI/NE), which was an unfinished estate of the Newberry’s (begun before the stock market crash of 1929, and left as just a shell), which the Brothers’ completed as a novitiate and provincialate. The novitiate closed in the late 1960s and Ocean Tides School opened in the 1970s, serving court adjudicated boys.
In 2009, the Brothers’ merged the provinces of Baltimore, New York and LI/NE. The new District was named the District of Eastern North America. Although the provincialate is now in Lincroft, New Jersey, Christian Brothers Center continues to operate as a housing facility for some of our retired Brothers and the Ocean Tides School.
The Brothers of DENA currently number over 300 Brothers operating over 30 ministries in the northeast area of the United States and Toronto, Canada. Internationally, the Brothers have educational ministries in over 80 countries.